WordPress Themes are files that work together to create the design and functionality of a WordPress site. Each Theme may be different, offering many choices for site owners to instantly change their website look.
You may wish to develop WordPress Themes for your own use, for a client project or to submit to the WordPress Theme Directory. Why else should you build a WordPress Theme?
- To create a unique look for your WordPress site.
- To take advantage of templates, template tags, and the WordPress Loop to generate different website results and looks.
- To provide alternative templates for specific site features, such as category pages and search result pages.
- To quickly switch between two site layouts, or to take advantage of a Theme or style switcher to allow site owners to change the look of your site.
A WordPress Theme has many benefits, too.
- It separates the presentation styles and template files from the system files so the site will upgrade without drastic changes to the visual presentation of the site.
- It allows for customization of the site functionality unique to that Theme.
- It allows for quick changes of the visual design and layout of a WordPress site.
- It removes the need for a typical WordPress site owner to have to learn CSS, HTML, and PHP in order to have a great-looking website.
Why should you build your own WordPress Theme? That’s the real question.
- It’s an opportunity to learn more about CSS, HTML, and PHP.
- It’s an opportunity to put your expertise with CSS, HTML, and PHP to work.
- It’s creative.
- It’s fun (most of the time).
- If you release it to the public, you can feel good that you shared and gave something back to the WordPress Community (okay, bragging rights)