워드프레스를 단순히 화려한 테마를 설치해서 홈페이지를 만드는 툴 정도로만 이해하는 거나, 오픈소스 프로젝트를 그저 ‘공짜’라고만 인식하는 것은 워드프레스의 장점과 단점을 제대로 이해하고 목적에 맞게 활용하는데 큰 장벽이 되곤 합니다.
워드프레스를 제대로 알기 위한 첫 걸음 으로써, 공식 워드프레스 About 페이지 의 내용들을 읽어보는 것은 아주 현명한 선택일 것입니다. 이 페이지에서는 이에 조금이나마 도움이 되고자 그 내용을 번역하고 정리하여 두었습니다.
워드프레스는 전세계 웹사이트의 24%이상이 워드프레스로 만들어졌고 그 수치는 매일 올라가고 있다. 워드프레스로 간단한 웹사이트부터 블로그, 포탈사이트, 그리고 엔터프라이즈급 웹사이트, 심지어 어플리케이션까지 만들 수 있습니다.
워드프레스는 사용자와 발행자에게 필요한 단순함과 개발자에게 필요한 복잡한 특성을 결합했다. 그래서 쉽게 사용할 수 있도록 유연성을 제공합니다
워드프레스의 기본적인 기능은 다음 리스트와같다. 하지만 워드프레스의 수천가지의 확장 플러그인 사용하면 거의 한계가 없이 기능을 확장할 수 있다. 또한 , 당신은 워드 프레스 코드와 함께 원하는대로 할 수 있는 라이센스 비용 없이 확장하거나 어떤 식 으로든 수정하거나 상업적인 프로젝트 를 위해 그것을 자유롭게 사용할 수 있습니다 .이런 free software는 가격뿐만 아니라 자유자체이기 때문에 완전히 자유롭게 사용할 수 있는것이 free software의 아름다움입니다
당신이 워드프레스를 좋아할 수 밖에 없는 특징들입니다.
- Simplicity Simplicity makes it possible for you to get online and get publishing, quickly. Nothing should get in the way of you getting your website up and your content out there. WordPress is built to make that happen.
- Flexibility With WordPress, you can create any type of website you want: a personal blog or website, a photoblog, a business website, a professional portfolio, a government website, a magazine or news website, an online community, even a network of websites. You can make your website beautiful with themes, and extend it with plugins. You can even build your very own application.
- Publish with Ease If you’ve ever created a document, you’re already a whizz at creating content with WordPress. You can create Posts and Pages, format them easily, insert media, and with the click of a button your content is live and on the web.
- Publishing Tools WordPress makes it easy for you to manage your content. Create drafts, schedule publication, and look at your post revisions. Make your content public or private, and secure posts and pages with a password.
- User Management Not everyone requires the same access to your website. Administrators manage the site, editors work with content, authors and contributors write that content, and subscribers have a profile that they can manage. This lets you have a variety of contributors to your website, and let others simply be part of your community.
- Media Management They say a picture says a thousand words, which is why it’s important for you to be able to quickly and easily upload images and media to WordPress. Drag and drop your media into the uploader to add it to your website. Add alt text, captions, and titles, and insert images and galleries into your content. We’ve even added a few image editing tools you can have fun with.
- Full Standards Compliance Every piece of WordPress generated code is in full compliance with the standards set by the W3C. This means that your website will work in today’s browser, while maintaining forward compatibility with the next generation of browser. Your website is a beautiful thing, now and in the future.
- Easy Theme System WordPress comes bundled with two default themes, but if they aren’t for you there’s a theme directory with thousands of themes for you to create a beautiful website. None of those to your taste? Upload your own theme with the click of a button. It only takes a few seconds for you to give your website a complete makeover.
- Extend with Plugins WordPress comes packed full of features for every user, for every other feature there’s a plugin directory with thousands of plugins. Add complex galleries, social networking, forums, social media widgets, spam protection, calendars, fine-tune controls for search engine optimization, and forms.
- Built-in Comments Your blog is your home, and comments provide a space for your friends and followers to engage with your content. WordPress’s comment tools give you everything you need to be a forum for discussion and to moderate that discussion.
- Search Engine Optimized WordPress is optimized for search engines right out of the box. For more fine-grained SEO control, there are plenty of SEO plugins to take care of that for you.
- Multilingual WordPress is available in more than 70 languages. If you or the person you’re building the website for would prefer to use WordPress in a language other than English, that’s easy to do.
- Easy Installation and Upgrades WordPress has always been easy to install and upgrade. If you’re happy using an FTP program, you can create a database, upload WordPress using FTP, and run the installer. Not familiar with FTP? Plenty of web hosts offer one-click WordPress installers that let you install WordPress with, well, just one click!
- Importers Using blog or website software that you aren’t happy with? Running your blog on a hosted service that’s about to shut down? WordPress comes with importers for blogger, LiveJournal, Movable Type, TypePad, Tumblr, and WordPress. If you’re ready to make the move, we’ve made it easy for you.
- Own Your Data Hosted services come and go. If you’ve ever used a service that disappeared, you know how traumatic that can be. If you’ve ever seen adverts appear on your website, you’ve probably been pretty annoyed. Using WordPress means no one has access to your content. Own your data, all of it — your website, your content, your data.
- Freedom WordPress is licensed under the GPL which was created to protect your freedoms. You are free to use WordPress in any way you choose: install it, use it, modify it, distribute it. Software freedom is the foundation that WordPress is built on.
- Community As the most popular open source CMS on the web, WordPress has a vibrant and supportive community. Ask a question on the support forums and get help from a volunteer, attend a WordCamp or Meetup to learn more about WordPress, read blogs posts and tutorials about WordPress. Community is at the heart of WordPress, making it what it is today.
- Contribute You can be WordPress too! Help to build WordPress, answer questions on the support forums, write documentation, translate WordPress into your language, speak at a WordCamp, write about WordPress on your blog. Whatever your skill, we’d love to have you!
For developers, we’ve got lots of goodies packed under the hood that you can use to extend WordPress in whatever direction takes your fancy.
- Plugin System The WordPress APIs make it possible for you to create plugins to extend WordPress. WordPress’s extensibility lies in the thousands of hooks at your disposal. Once you’ve created your plugin, we’ve even got a plugin repository for you to host it on.
- Theme System Create WordPress themes for clients, customers, and for WordPress users. The WordPress APIprovides the extensibility to create themes as simple or as complex as you wish. If you want to give your theme away for free you can give it to users in the Theme Repository
- Application Framework If you want to build an application, WordPress can help with that too. Under the hood WordPress provides a lot of the features that your app will need, things like translations, user management, HTTP requests, databases, URL routing and much, much more.
- Custom Content Types WordPress comes with default content types, but for more flexibility you can add a few lines of code to create your own custom post types, taxonomies, and metadata. Take WordPress in whatever direction you wish.
- The Latest Libraries WordPress comes with the latest script libraries for you to make use of. These include jQuery, Plupload, Underscore.js and Backbone.js. We’re always on the lookout for new tools that developers can use to make a better experience for our users.